Old 03-16-2011, 04:01 PM
everybody's mother

I use the tissue boxes, too for scraps etc. I also cut the tissue boxes to the corners, staple them in place to make perfect fat quarter storage. I can see at a glance where each color is. I keep the cardboard squares that 1/4's come on and reuse them for my own cuts of left-over fabric.

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
Lots of good tips! I use an empty tissue box for threads and trash. When it's full, I can just toss the whole thing and get another one! I use a sticky lint roller to clean off threads from my blocks. I pre-wind a box full of bobbins. I use several layers of painters tape to mark my 1/4" sewing line. I keep a bottle of water near my iron. I keep a basket underneath the cutting table for throw-away scraps, a plastic basket on my table for scraps that are usable, when it is full, I cut the scraps into strips and squares. I use a "thread bunny" (don't know how it got it's name!) which is just a scrap to sew onto after sewing pieces. Saves thread. Then I decided to keep a stack of squares or triangles next to my machine and instead of sewing off onto a scrap, I just grab a couple of squares and use those as my "thread bunny." Before you know it, I have a stack of 4 patches for a new quilt!