Old 05-07-2011, 01:27 PM
treadlep

Originally Posted by irishrose
Treadlep, I think we decided your Richmond is another little National like my Leader. Here is ther tension threading page from my manual. You can zoom in to read it - 150% or 200% works for me. It's a scan of a copy - I don't like to handle the original too much.
Thanks, irishrose. Hey! Your manual looks just like mine! I have the same Figure 5 illustration, except mine is missing the "B" which would have been helpful (my husband and I had quite the discussion about where we thought "B" was located on the machine). My problem appears to not be a threading problem: I routed the thread around the back of the adjustment screw, around the pointed notch, in between the tension plates and through the center opening as shown and described. So I am left with some tension issues, because the top tension appears to be too tight but the adjustment screw is so loose it's about to fall out and the tension plates/springs are too floppy, yet the shuttle adjustment screw won't tighten any further. There seems to be a sweet spot where it is almost okay, but the top thread is still slightly too tight, yet if I go looser the thread starts jerking around and I get big loopies. However, there is a sticky spot where the treadling catches that also seems to be at least partially causing the thread jerk. I still need to do a thorough cleaning and that will probably help, but I was playing with the machine to see if just oiling would suffice (it doesn't look too dirty, but has been sitting a long time) until I have a solid block of time to tackle the job.

Thanks for your help---I also have scanned my manual to save more wear on the original. What type of needles do you use---have you found originals or are you scooting a regular down in the setting?

Did your machine also come withe the cute little pamphlet, "Hints and Helps About the Oiling and Care of Your Sewing Machine and The Story of How Sewing Machine Oil is Produced"? It provides some detail about what the Repair Man does to service the machine and how you can save the $3.25 and do it yourself. Very funny.