Old 05-15-2011, 10:55 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jtapp9

The 500 was bound up a bit but she got it loose and the motor started smoking. She changed the motor and then everytime you put thread in it it would break thread. Then the handwheel would loosen and spin like you were winding a bobbin. She kept saying since it wouldnt work right she would have to take it to her sewing machine person. I asked whats the least shed take and she said $50 since she put the newly wound motor in it. So, any ideas of what I should work on to fix this issue? It will sit and "sew" all day until I put thread in it. The the handwheel will start spinning seperately like doing a bobbin..the smaller section comes loose.

So, any ideas about the 500?

Get some kerosene on the moving parts of the machines. That should loosen up any old dead dried up oil - spread it on good - make sure not to get anything on the paint or wiring or the motor - I do it routinely when I bring in a 'new' machine. Then use some good sewing machine oil on the same moving parts. It may take more than one shot at it. The motor might have been smoking because someone got oil in it - I bought one that the lady thought the motor was the problem when the machine was all stuck up with old dried up oil so she oiled the motor - talk about smoke... I don't really know what makes the balance wheel go off like that - maybe she assembled it wrong - open it back up and flip the little cog thing over and see if it works better? A couple pages back I posted a link to a SERVICE manual. This will tell you a lot if info how to repair the machine. It is good for both machines. It is $12. I got one and it is very helpful. First, you need to get a free USER'S manuals from http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...e-manuals.html - you just print it out.