Old 05-23-2011, 08:03 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jtapp9
A piece of advice please?

In the 500A that I just got recently, If it is not threaded it will sit and "sew" like mad. No catching or glitches or anything. As soon as I put thread in it and attempt to sew then I can feel it tightening up, like its catching, and the thread will break after maybe 4 stitches. Lots of birds nest underneath. Sometimes it wont even start to sew on its own and the two handwheels will part and the inner one (larger) will spin but not the outer (smaller) one. As soon as I pull the thread out it will "sew" again.

I have changed the needle. I have taken the tension unit off and loosened it. I have tried several different kinds of thread. I've checked the bobbin area for crud.

Any other things I can try tonight?
Thread the machine. Then pull the thread just a little at each tread contact point. Where do you get drag? When you put the presser foot down does the drag change any place? I know you took the tension apart, but have you cleaned dead oil/gunk off the tension or any other contact point? Do you have any burrs on any places the thread goes through? Are you threading the 500 through all the holes? (I bypass some of them - don't really need all of them.) Take the bobbin thread and pull it. Does it drag too much? Is there any dried up oil in the bobbin case keeping it from spinning freely? Different bobbin? Don't try to run the motor until it hand cranks real good stitches.

I have a Consew walking foot that has been dragging lately. I had to clean dead oil off the tension. I also had the thing threaded wrong order and that broke thread. Drives me crazy. I have a certain cone of thread that keeps breaking too. There is always something when you sew. Patience.