Old 05-23-2011, 09:57 AM
vintagemotif

The Dang Singer 758

Miriam,
Ok, I read to make sure that the plastic bobbins are all screwed tightly. Check did that, but I didn't think about them warping.

Suzi,
Don't know anything about Singer 744, but if it is anything like the 758 do not waste your time with it. Go hunt for better! Save yourself from frustration.

OMG Billy! I'm not that frustrated that I would use the thing for target practice- must be your male hormones. I don't think I will keep it for parts. I just thought I would oil it, make sure it worked, and sell it cheap since I will not be using an electric. Maybe I will sell as parts machine. I can't sell this piece of crap for someone to actually use for sewing.

Nancy, The plastic on this foot is worn smooth, but I used the Singer walking foot that was with the machine. The gal that gave me the machine didn't have the bottom of the regular foot just the post part. She has misplaced the feet box. I had a high shank regular foot that I got in a box of attachments. I used that, but then thought maybe the walking foot would work better and help with the stitches. So, after changing the feet, I did have nice stitches. I then tested the bobbin winder and it was all down hill from there.

Some machines are worth the trouble of trying to make them work, but this is a machine not worth my time…or anyone's for that matter. And it isn't even a cute machine to keep on a shelf. Maybe Billy does have the best solution for the Singers 758.