Old 05-24-2011, 08:18 AM
jan on 446

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=Honchey][quote=miriam][quote=vintagemotif]I feel very sorry for those that learned to sew on a Singer 758 Touch and Sew. These machines are a piece of crap, at least the free one that my neighbor gave me the other day is. I got it to sew after a long time of playing with it, then I tested to see if the bobbin worked and after that I can't for the life of me get

I had a T&S for many years. I think I got it in the early 70's. It was the best machine I ever had. I am still sorry that I traded it in for a new Janome MC 3500, which I am just now learning to use it's features, after 11 years. I had every attachment for it. I loved the Professional Buttonhole maker. I got a good one from what I am reading about the T&S's here. I wish some good company would make the self winding bobbin like the T&S did. That was so handy.
I am on the lookout for a good electric all metal machine. I am leaning towards Rocketeer, or maybe a Japan clone. Any suggestions? Yes, I know those are "true vintage" but they are built so much better. I do have two treadle machines in cabinets and haven't had the time to clean them up etc. One is a Singer H-15 (I think) and the other is a "the Free #5. Both sets of decals are in wonderful shape. I hope to be able to start working on them this summer.
Jan on 446