Old 05-28-2011, 08:03 AM
emmah

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by emmah
Thank you. What we got was just a bunch of wind and some hail, but nothing bad. I guess I would rather the weather service be cautious than have no warning.
Yard "sale-ing" today produced 2 vintage sewing machines-$3 apiece-a 15 clone in blue and white named Ambassador, and a green Kenmore that was my first machine--now used by my non quilting sister for mending.
Someone had used some terrible stuff to "oil" the Kenmore, it was slopped all over the machine and was like orange chewing gum. After trying kerosene and liquid wrench to no avail, I finally remembered that ammonia cuts grease very well, so toothbrushed it all over the place. Took hours to get the gummy stuff out and loosen up the machine. Now to oil the machine and put it all back together.
It is so fun!!!
What????? You got a 15 clone for $3? What is wrong with it? When are you going to post pictures? Congratulations!

Nancy
The 15 clone looks in perfect shape, not gummed up or anything.
I haven't tried it yet, but got the Kenmore going and it sews perfectly. The gummy oily stuff on the Kenmore was the color and consistancy of EARWAX. Can you imagine how sticky and gluey it was!!! (I thought of that image while I was doing some fine cleaning around the machine with qtips!)
Glad to hear Billy is surviving another storm. When the sun is shining and the storms are past, the world seems like its been scrubbed and polished..............kinda like what we do with these old machines.