Old 06-16-2011, 04:49 AM
cabinfever

I think the building is especially wonderful, but I like the whole thing! I am just starting to learn more about depth in scenery using color, as my mother is a painter, & I am looking more for it.
I think the one thing you might like better is if your "mountain" on the left behind the building had a few layers of color: darker right behind the building at the bottom, fading to lighter tones as it rises to the top (& further in distance). Mind you I am not a quilt critic, or a painter, just my mothers art landscape quilts have these aspects to create depth.
Another thing I've seen at quilt shows is where quilters use a layer of tulle over a fabric (black to darken an area, or white tulle to create a highlight); imagine the possibilities of any color as an accent. Of course, some have done fantastic details with thread painting, like highlights of lighter colors to show sun on the tops of trees or even a roof.
Enjoy your creation, it's really well done!
If you think you want to read anything more about landscape quilting, your library may have a book showing how they use these embellishing materials. I personally have not done it yet, just learning about it myself.