View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 07:28 AM
sgardner

Originally Posted by Browngirl
I love this. What is the technique called? I would love to learn how to do this. Thanks for sharing.
Icee
I have heard it called several things
Colorque (branding name of Helen Stubbings' products)
Irena Bluhm just calls it "applying color" to a quilt
quilt painting
fabric painting

The process is really VERY simple- apply color to the fabric, and set the color. Some colors can be heat set (hot iron) but most are set with aloe or fabric medium.

There are a multitude of tools that work for this fabric painting process (cheap can be too cheap, but most expensive is not always better!):
regular colored pencils
watercolor pencils
Shiva paintstick products
pens, markers
fine tipped permanent markers (Sharpie!)
crayons
paints, can be acrylic or fabric paints
Pre-mixed paints from Karen Pharr's Store http://KarenPharrStudios.com

Go to Michaels and you will drown in all the color choices for painting on t-shirts and other clothing- this process has been around for a long time!

The color intensity really depends on how you apply it and the strength of the initial paint. I've used my watercolor pencils for a light background, applied fabric medium, and then lightly reapplied the watercolor pencils while the fabric was still wet for in intense top detail. With fabric medium you can blend the color right on the fabric.

Blick website has these Dewent Inktense Pencils 50% off currently!
http://www.dickblick.com/products/de...pencils/#items

I bought my fabric medium at Michaels. My local Walmart and JoAnns didn't have it, and neither did my local art store that sold paints of every kind.

Here's another tip:
What if you say "I can't draw"- well, go find a white on white print of flowers. Paint within the lines! I did that very successfully with a fabric I found at my LQS. The center fabric in this picture started life as a white on white print! Here's a pic of that experiment:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-214785.jpe