Old 06-21-2011, 10:46 PM
fabric_fancy

Originally Posted by butterflywing
Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
its not the retayne its the fabric

you can try washing it again in the hottest water you can to remove the retayne and then wash it again in the hottest water you can to try and fade it even further.

you can then over dye it yourself with purple to try and achieve a more uniform color.

with all that said i love the mottled look and wouldn't do a thing - but i'm not you and i understand the disappointment when a fabric doesn't turn out exactly as you wanted.
if you overdye with a dye like RIT, it will fade out every time you wash it. if you want it to stay as you dye it, you have to use a commercial (professional) dye. however, any dye you use will be mottled because it's starting out on mottled fabric.

it's very, very nice the way it is and definitely looks like it was supposed to be that way. i would wash it one more time to be sure it's finished doing whatever it did.

while i am not a fan of RIT or Dylon dye, i use procion, it can be used and treated with retayne to prevent fading and bleeding.

here is an article on how to use these products for your reading pleasure

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/allpurposedye.shtml

also if you choose a dye that is the color of the dark mottled sections you can even out the mottled tone of the fabric.

i know this to be a fact because i do it all the time with my fabric when i'm not happy with how the mottled effect has come out in the dyeing process.

instead of getting rid of the fabric i simply dye it again to an even color tone that looks just like kona cotton.