Old 07-06-2011, 04:30 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ube quilting
Hello everyone. I'm new to this thread. I am astounded by all the vintage and love on this thread and know I will find help here. I received my grandmothers Singer and she need lots of cleaning and some basic parts. There is lots of dry, gunky oil on most of her parts. What is the best method of removing this so she will shine again?

She still moves but feels a bit arthritic, not frozen up but I think some proper oiling will help cure her of that.

It is model# 117 959 and serial# 189363. Can anyone tell me anything about her and if parts are available. She needs a bobbin case. What kind of needle will she use? Can the electric cord be replaced? I want to use her and maybe Nana will here her sing again!

Is there a manual available also. I have to learn how to thread her and use her.

Any help and info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Welcome happy to have you along.
CAUTION/WARNING: this place is addictive. If you get any of that kerosene under your skin you will be wanting to collect and clean up every old sewing machine you can find. Then you will only want to use vintage machines. AND you will spend all your time ogling what everybody else finds...
Seriously, Billy has made up a tutorial so you can clean her up. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45983-1.htm
I don't really know what model you have. I tried to search it by the model number. I come up with a brown Kenmore.
Can you post a picture so we can all ogle and admire and maybe identify. Try reading as many of the posts on here as you can and you will learn a ton. I do know the lady at sewclassic has parts, bobbin cases and cords with plugs and what not. She also has good info too. I have found that the machine I'm working on usually gets worse before it gets better but it is so worth it. The old machines are machined & all metal rather than stamped and plastic when they were manufactured. Once you get them going there is no going back! SO please give more info!