Thread: Scrappy quilts
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 01:48 PM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by southernmema
As a child I remember my grandmother's house had wood pot belly stoves for heating. The stoves in the bedrooms were not generally fired up, unless someone was sick in bed or had a baby, etc. So at night the rooms in winter were really, really cold. The quilts were the only warmth, besides body heat, we had. They were sooo heavy, and several were piled on top of you. You stayed in whatever position you were in when the quilts were placed on you, because the weight of the quilts did not allow much room to move. Of course they were scrap quilts...made from scraps of feed sacks after shirts/dresses had been made from them....also made from good parts of used clothing....but they were made with much much love. In the morning my granddad would come into the bedroom and carry us from the bed into the dining/living room where he had a roaring fire in the stove. He carried us so our feet wouldn't get cold by walking on the cold, cold floor. It seemed as if life was sweeter back then and one could sleep well and wake refreshed after sleeping under those quilts. These memories are the reasons I prefer scrappy quilts.
This might be why I love heavy blankets on my bed. I don't mean thick, I mean heavy weight.