View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 06:57 AM
aborning

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I've done a search on this, but can't find anything. I've given up on my Tin Lizzie bobbin winder and want to purchase a stand alone one. It needs to wind the large size M bobbins, so the inexpensive ones that Joann's sells won't work.
There are several brands I'm looking at: Corgi, Gammil and this 'no brand':

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp09633.html

Any recommendations?

The reason why I'm considering one is that I've tried several times to adjust the winder on my machine. A good bobbin winds with 10 to 20 extra yards that I need to unwind & pitch. A bad wind will also wind thread around the spindle. If I adjust it per the website, I get a half wound bobbin. I like the idea of winding the bobbin while stitching, but then you need to buy 2 spools of thread. If I just wind a bobbin, it bothers me that the machine is still 'stitching', you can't disengage the sewing head.
This is an easy fix. I have a Tin Lizzie, too, but I like to wind a few bobbins before I start my project so I do not use the self winder on the Tin Lizzie. I have the Simplicity Wrights Side Winder (I bought it at Joann's) and then I just bought a tall cheap thread stand (at Koann's) to set the cone of thread on and then just run the thread to the side winder. This is the same way as if you would have a big sppol of thread that you would put on a tall thread stand to thread it to your sewing machine. PM me if you have more questions on this--but it works very simple and it is what I have always used to wind my bobbons. Hope this helps you.