View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 07:59 AM
Dooneygone

I tried a new method to avoid applying the narrow binding.

It is sometimes called "inside-out" or for whatever reason, "the birther method".

.....You sew the batting around the edges to the wrong side of the quilt top
.....Then place the right side of the backing to the right side of the quilt top and sew seams but leave an opening in the bottom of it about 7-10 inches.
.....Then put your hand up the opening and pull out the right side of the quilt, tack up the opening after you have reversed it.

I have my son's quilt almost done and it looks good. I left a little extra batting to extend beyond the top (about 1/2 in) and when I pulled it right side out, the batting made a puffy ridge which I then sewed about 1/2 to 3/4 inch away from the edge and it almost looks like a binding.

The next quilt I do like this to avoid a binding will have a border added on and then I am going to add another piece that will be a different color and simulate a binding there. These two added borders can then be top-stitched individually and make it look even more like an added-on binding.

It was fun to make and much quicker. But you must be careful to have your quilt and all your seams exact so the quilt forms a perfect rectangle or square when turned out.

I will post a px of my first quilt made this way after I do a little remaining SID on it. Pauline