View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 10:48 AM
janeknapp

We searched for images of frogs on the web. This one was saved to the desktop and then cropped/resized for 8.5 x 10.75. It was printed in color (use grayscale to save ink) and traced lightly onto fabric with a regular pencil using a light box (can use a window). A white fabric eraser (Hancock's or Jo-Ann's) is used for mistakes. The frog is colored with the dry Inktense pencils which are permanent. Clear aloe vera gel which activates the color but prevents bleeding is applied with a fabric brush. It dries quickly. I heat set the ink using pressing cloths on front and back. I wash the fabric until the slippery gel is gone under a small amount of water in a cake pan. It dries and is pressed again. I quilt it. Color was needed in the quilted leaves, so the pencils were used to add more color. Then water was added to the leaves by using a slightly moist brush (tap once on scrap fabric to remove some water). A moist brush to the tip of a pencil can take some color to add to a few drops of water to get the desired shade. This can then be brushed onto the leaves.