Old 07-30-2011, 03:35 AM
Suzi

[quote=BoJangles]
Originally Posted by Suzi
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
The other one is fully retired due to ringbone.

Nancy

Nancy what is ringbone? Kathie

Oldest one we had was 32 when we retired him. He was a very peppy Standardbred and a super classy horse to ride.

Ringbone: a bony outgrowth on or near the articulating surface of the pastern or coffin bone of a horse that typically results from injury and usually produces lameness.
Wow Suzi, I gave a much simpler explanation for ringbone, knowing most on here would not know what I was talking about - but you are spot on, although, I am still sure most people would have no idea what you are talking about!

Nancy
That's funny. You bet yours was easier to understand! We headed an equine 4-H group many years back (do they still have 4H and FFA?) and our 1X per month discussion meetings were geared to one specific part of the horse's anatomy thus the kids learned the proper descriptions with help from charts and (of course) my live horses. 2 of the kids went on to become large animal Vets and several are Vet techs - made me sooooo proud. Enough of the equines - this IS a vintage sewing machine thread ..... ;o)