View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 10:26 AM
omak

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
I had been storing fabric in plastic bins. Then when another post was started on this topic, I took everything out and put it in drawers. I learned this to be a no-no. So back in bins it went. I have a lot of fabric pieces I had cut for another project I had done, and put these into a plastic bag which went into the storage tub. I've had everything stored around 3 years, all my fabric seems ok. I live in a low humidity area, so that may have something to do with it. But, now that plastic bags are no adviseable, I will take them out and just have all the fabric in totes in a closet.
Oh, my!
I have fabric in all sorts of places (one of the joys of being a hoarder, I guess - - we are very creative).
As I explained a bit earlier, the plastic in bags are created differently than a plastic tote, plus that air tight thing if the bag gets closed ... the air tight problem is not nice to natural fibers. But, just the process of making the bags, they are heated differently, the formulas and chemicals are different, and all those variables creates a different product which responds to its contents in a variety of ways.
The totes are not air tight - - one point. Different formula in creation - - natural products respond differently to a tote. They stack nicer than bags BIG + ! <g> more stacks = more fabric.
Now! the drawers - - depending on how the wood is processed in the drawers the effects on fabric will differ. Not all wood is toxic to cotton or wool (cedar) ... but, cedar press board may have cedar, but a manmade formula in the glue used to create the chip/press board turns the cedar into a possible trauma to fabric.
Oh, and don't forget! cardboard boxes are DEADLY to fabric - - NOT SO FAST!
My mother sent me a box that we dated back at least 25 years - - when I didn't complete that project either (lots of UFOs in my life! LOL)
she found it stored in the corner of an upstairs bedroom that is rarely heated at sea level ... I was a bit surprised to find the fabric just fine after all those years!
Of course, I was a bit sad to find those silly stuffed clown panels that I thought I had gotten rid of at least ten years ago! LOL
Y'all get lots of stars for keeping the economy going with all the purchases of totes, plastic bags, acid free paper, etc ... but, now that you know you can do more with less <g> ... you will have to find something else to buy, right? LOL <wave>