View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 11:46 AM
omak

Originally Posted by MsEithne

It has been stored various ways over the years, from a cardboard box, wrapped in a plastic garbage bag inside the cardboard box, in a wooden slatted crate and in plastic bins.

I've been going through all these old scraps with my husband, who wrote a database to catalog them. None of them are damaged, all of them look as new as the day I rolled each set up neatly and tied it with a scrap of the same fabric.

The only precaution I ever took with my scraps was to keep it in the main part of whatever house I was living in, away from basements (too humid in the summer) or attics (too hot and too humid).
VIOLA! The beauty of The Board! Centuries of experience, all varied, but very much valid. I think this testimony is the best assurance of the durability of fabric and its ability to survive some seemingly harsh treatment.
Should you happen to come across some fabric you are unsure of, try putting a finger through it - - right through the center.
I do know that fabric can become rotten, though I have only found one or two pieces in many years of stashing it and gathering from other stashes. If you can put your finger through it with slight pressure, use it for a doggie bed stuffing. <wave>