Old 08-08-2011, 01:36 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nickylsf
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by nickylsf
In my zeal to oil my recently acquired 301A, I put sewing machine oil in the motor tube, and then learned I should have used lubricant. I got some lubricant and tried to put that in, but it did not seem as though there was room to put any in. What should I do?
take the motor out and take it to a rebuild shop they will do a fine job servicing the motor. Then put it back. You just need to find a service manual - even the 401 manual will tell you how to do it. It is not very hard. To take it to a sewing machine shop will cost you a lot more. link to 401 manual - start at page 125 or so and scroll down - yanking the motor is the same procedure.
http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/306W25.pdf
Thanks Miriam. Would you recommend this even though the motor works fine? Just to get the oil out? Thanks
I don't know any other way to tell you with out a tutorial. I bought a 403 someone had oiled the motor. It smelled like it was burning up. DH took it apart and cleaned it and it purrs great now. I have 4 machines to clean up motors. I would like to do a tutorial. Right now he is busier than a one armed paper hanger with the 7 year itch and I'm sure he won't even think about doing one. As old as those machines are it is a good idea to clean the motor - they really do run better.