Thread: Peach Pie
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 01:08 PM
katykwilt

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
thanks for sharing, I am not good at making pie crusts, but will try again anyway.
Here's a recipe I found about 30 years ago when I was about to give up on baking pies.

No Fail Piecrust
4 C unsifted flour
1 T. sugar
2 t. salt
1-3/4 C solid shortening (Crisco)
1 T vinegar (white or cider)
1 large egg
1/2 C water

1. Put flour, sugar and salt in bowl, mix w/fork. Add shortening and mix w/fork until crumbly.
2. In a small bowl beat egg, water and vinegar. Combine mixtures stirring w/fork until well moistened. (Don't worry about over-handling it.)
3. Divide into 5 or 6 portions and shape w/hands into a flat round patty ready for rolling.
4. Wrap in plastic or waxed paper & chill for an hour. (Can freeze at this point).
5. When ready to roll, lightly flour both sides of the patty on a lightly floured board. Rub a little flour on the rolling pin and roll from the center out to keep the crust round. Roll to about 1/8" thick or 2" larger than the pan.
6. Add filling, dampen the edges of the bottom crust and top w/second crust. Crimp between index finger and thumb, trim and bake per directions with filling.

I like having these on hand in the freezer. A few minutes on the counter to defrost and they are ready to go.