Thread: Batting
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Gabrielle's Mimi

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
I have a question about batting.
My quilts are lap size and have not found a batting to fit.
Crib is too small and twin is to big, so what do you do?
I like the 80/20 warm and natural but have alot of waste cutting down twin size.
I heard you can use some kind of tape to put pieces of batting togather, do you know what kind?
You can buy any size you wish, then save the leftover part for your next project. I save all my scraps. First, I measure the size, and write the dimensions on a sticky label, then fold the batting and stick the label on the fold so I can see it. When I need batting, I go through my leftovers and select the right size. Oftentimes I have to take 2 and put them together. You don't need that special tape...all you do is cut one straight edge on both pieces using your rotary cutter and ruler. Then butt them together and sew the edges using a large zigzag stitch and light-colored thread. Even if you get a gap here or there it doesn't matter since you'll be quilting over it anyway. My smallest pieces get saved for placemats. If you have long skinny pieces you can cut them to 1 or 1.5" wide and use them in place of clothesline in the rope bags and purses. Hope this helps!