Thread: Licensing
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 05:59 AM
MarthaT

Originally Posted by Homespun
What if the person wanting the quilt buys the material and brings it to you and you just make the quilt and charge him for labor? Would that get by those regulations?
That's what I do. Not long ago a lady wanted a quilt made for her new granddaughter with LSU fabric on one side and FSU fabric on the other. I told her if she bought the fabric, I would make it for her. I don't see how anyone could come after me. She was the one who bought the fabric. She just hired me to make the quilt.

I try to look at it from the designers standpoint, if I make a cute Winnie the Pooh blanket, people will be more likely to buy it than if it is any other bear. So as a seller of handmade items, I am increasing my sales by using their design. On the flip side, I'm also increasing the sale of their fabric by purchasing it and turning it into something to sell to someone who doesn't have my sewing skills. (I would not have purchased the fabric for my own use, therefore no fabric sale.)

To me, it is in the favor of the owner of the license if we can use it to make things to sell, then more of their fabric is getting sold. I would never buy LSU fabric for myself! My quilt would have FSU on both sides!!! LOL!