View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 06:01 PM
FroggyinTexas

Originally Posted by Quiltinvaca
Originally Posted by Sophie2
I am wondering if anyone does anything with their empty thread spools. I have been saving my for sometime thinking that I would do something crafty with them. So far I just have them in baskets in different parts of the house. My first thought was glueing them to a wire frame for a wreath and then add buttons and ribbons. Any other ideas?
This would never do for the modern child BUT: My Mother made us children a train using any round cardboard box (such as oatmeal) and wood thead spools as wheels. I believe the "cars" were hooked to each other with yarn. I do remember the smoke stack on the engine was also a spool. I loved that train and my sister and I played with it for years and years. To be honest, I think most children today would find it rather silly.
I'll bet they would love it. My great grandchildren, 6 and 4, love the computer and computer games, but they love sidewalk chalk, sand pile and sand castles just as well. And all the hand push cars and dolls I have in their toy closet are just about worn out. froggyintexas