Old 10-09-2011, 10:34 AM
wraez

I lived with my grandparents who didn't have much. I only got 1 xmas gift each year, tho there was lots of baked goods, nuts and fruits in shoes (that I had fun shining) on St. Nick's day earlier in Dec. Took me a long time to realize why my friends got sooooo many xmas gifts from Santa and I only got one.

Then when dh and I had 3 dd they got lots of gifts, as we could afford. Guess making up for what we thought we missed out on. DH came from a large family and didn't get lots of gifts either. Now in our senior years know that the gifts weren't all that important compared to being with family and celebrating a wonderful blessed day.

Sad thing now, our kids have married into families with divorced in-laws, (that in itself is not sad) and they have to go to so many different homes to celebrate, it is taxing. And we don't get to see them all day like we once did. 2 of my dd have an x and now their kids spend every other Christmas with the dad, one who is out of state and gone for 2 wks.. So Christmas doesn't have the continuity it once did.

Hopefully they will have good memories but wonder if they will have 'traditions' ?