View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 06:29 PM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by marymc
Originally Posted by Kimberli
Why is it okay to go the local quilt shop and pay $10 to $12 a yard for fabric, sink about $200 into a quilt and then decide a blue collar worker isn't worth $25 for a haircut? Most people have no idea what our education cost just to become stylists. I live in a small town in Oklahoma and have been doing hair for 15 years. Not just doing hair, but being invested in people's lives. I celebrate my clients' ups and grieve with them in their downs... I make them cancer quilts. I buy gifts for their kids graduations. I make baby blankets for new moms. I count my clients as my friends - not paychecks. In our salon continuing education is a requirement. We attend hairshows and classes on a regular schedule and they are not cheap. Especially when we have to go out of state to get "trendy" education. I own the salon I work in, work with seven other stylists and demand that everyone guarantee their work. No exceptions. You should all know that the products we use continually go up in price, as do the insurance premiums we must carry, as do the delivery charges we pay weekly in order to get the products in our salon. We adore our clients and have not raised our prices in over 5 years due to this economy. Sadly, we have not been treated the same by our suppliers. Every hairstylist I personally know struggles to pay bills just like everyone else, and we most assuredly do not make $75 an hour ( at least in our area). I do charge $25 for a ladies cut which includes a fantastic head scrubbing shampoo, and a great blowdry. I take pride in my work and pamper my client accordingly. Which is why God has blessed me with a full book consistantly. And I am ever thankful for my loyal clients who love me as much as I love them.

No offense to anyone - just wanted to put in my two cents worth.....
Applause! Be proud of what you do. A wise man once told me two thing. 1. There is no shame in profit. 2. don't be afraid to charge friends and family for your services cause your enemies are not coming in!
Sometimes friends and relatives are the most reluctant to pay a fair price for goods and/or services. :hunf: