Old 10-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Brenda Sue

Originally Posted by dd
So much controversy about whether you should get it every year or every other year. With our insurance, I can't afford it this year. Know any place doing it for free? I always hear about it after the fact.
I do not have insurance, so I called around to the the different places in town that do mammograms to get their prices and check on reduced or free pricing. I also checked with both hospitals on their prices. St. Francis has a program sponsored by a group for women 60 or over and the mammogram is free. I have been able to use it two years in a row. Missouri also has a program for women over 50? with income guidelines that will do a pap smear and mammogram free. Perhaps your state has a program like this. With the cost of mammograms being so high, it is well worth it to research all hospitals, clinics and radiology offices to see what kind of help is available. I have found I can get lab work done cheaper at the hospital outreach centers than I can at my doctors office. Without insurance, I can go to the doctor only in dire circumstances or for my diabetic checkups. If Medicare is still available when I turn 65, that will help.