Old 11-01-2011, 04:42 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Ok I just did some research, which I should have done before I bought the 319 so I knew what I was getting into. According to what I just learned the 319 uses 206x13 needles, which are suppose to be still available and the same bobbins that are sold for the Riccar Rotary?

Candace where do you buy the needles, since these are smaller than a 15x1?

Also, where do you get the bobbins and what are they?

My smg called them L bobbins, and would have to order them. He sent a Pfaff one home for me to try, no luck, but works in the Pfaff I acquired since then. I have seen them on most of the online sites, as well as the needles. I ordered the needles from sewclassic. The eye of the needle is right at the tip.
You know I was thinking about the 319w last night. I was actually surprised yesterday when Miriam asked what size bobbin the 319 takes. I know Miriam is very knowledgable about the machines. Since I saw some class 66's in the stuff Cathy had for this machine I never thought to look in the case! Miriam asking the question should have been my first clue that something was amiss! DUH!!!!!

I also never even dreamed the 319w would take a different needle than 90% of the other Singers! Who'd of thought???? Now I am wondering why, when the majority of Singers all take a 15x1, Singer decided to make the 319w different? I have Davis, New Home, Wheeler and Wilson, Wilcox and Gibbs, and the Singer 9W (which is basically a Wheeler and Wilson) that I had to buy special needles for, but why did Singer decide to do that with one of their machines? Maybe that is one of the reasons the 319w was a bust after only being in production for 3 years! Are there any other Singers that take a special needle? All of my other Singers take a normal 15x1, even the very old Fiddlebase VS2 from 1889. Even my Rocketeer from 1961 takes a normal 15x1 needle and a class 66 bobbin.

No wonder I put my foot in my mouth yesterday when I told Miriam a class 66!!!!! All my other Singers either take a class 66 or class 15 bobbin and a normal needle!!! Why was the 319w designed so differently?

Nancy