Old 11-25-2011, 03:35 AM
Julie1

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
It could also be the wiring - the foot control - friction somewhere - is the motor cold - when did you oil the machine last - use Triflow or regular machine oil - if it has had 3-in-1 oil it could gum it up and cause some drag - if it is only hesitating on the zig zag there are a couple places that have to be kept cleaned and oiled. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...-t70011-2.html on the second page there is a real nice pic of the needle bar and where to oil it. Open the top of the machine, if you push on the part on the needle bar that make it zig zag and watch you can see the one on the other end - oil it too.
The 401a has less hesitation when it is unthreaded than when it is threaded and I am only doing a straight stitch. It was just recently oiled. I checked it for being gummed up but it looked clean. The foot control is from the 403 which didn't have the problem so I think it is ok. Had to use it because the case the 401 is in had the knee lever which I am really enjoying. This 401 is the one that tumbled over backwards to the floor when I was putting it in its case.

jb