Old 12-02-2011, 09:25 AM
thepolyparrot

Shirls, I think points are troublesome for almost everyone. The insanely acute points on some pieces just give me the hives.

I like the starch method of preparing the fabric and that helps get everything packed in there. I trim really close to the fold - like 1/16 of an inch - after I get the tip folded down. Then I trim the first side after it's folded down, then the third.

With regular needleturn, I trim really close after the first side is stitched, then I turn the tip and trim the underside of that and then the trickiness. I turn the third side and fingerpress it, then let it go and trim that. I keep that wet toothpick in my mouth all the time so I take that and tuck under that last edge of the point and hold it in place with my thumbnail. Every few stitches, I adjust and pinch as necessary. (Edited to add: you're stitches are going to be SUPER close together, here, almost becoming part of the fabric. Holding all that fabric in a tiny spot is going to take a lot of sewing. )

On small pieces with very acute points, I think we just need to accept that the fabric is going to be thicker in that area - almost dimensional. It's not as noticeable after we get the block finished and pressed, and probably no one is going to see anything but the design when it's done, so we just keep practicing and doing our best.

I admit that this is easier said than done - I'm usually perfection-driven and always disappointed because of course, I never actually reach perfection. Just hang in there and keep trying different things until you find what works for you and when you do, you can teach me.