View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Gina_D

Originally Posted by gellybean402 View Post
The zipper can be opened on either end and does not come apart on either end. I know I need to make an extra piece of fabric for both sides of the zipper and add it to the each top part of the lining, but I don't know how to attach the entire top of the lining with the zipper installed to the top part of the bag? Since the zipper doesn't come apart, it makes it more difficult. I hope you all understand what I am trying to explain. The zipper is a purse zipper.
I've never done a 2 way zipper, but they are installed the same way a 1 way zipper is installed, just with 2 pulls going in opposite directions. I like using coil zippers because they come apart & you can slip the pulls on them after they are sewn into the fabric. If it's too difficult to figure out I suggest getting a coil zipper & make life easier! (I get mine from Seattle Fabrics - but they don't have many colors to choose from)

The tute on the recessed bag is a good one; if the zipper is for the top of the bag, then you'll see that by cutting off some fabric from the top of the bag & sewing the cut off pieces to the zipper, it will eliminate confusion because the zipper didn't come apart. (you then sew the completed zipper piece into the lining & the bag after the zipper is in - easy!) I didn't particularly like all the space at the top of the bag - they used about 4 inches or so, so I just cut off about an inch instead - it turned out really nice without increasing the width of the bag.