Old 12-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Buckeye Rose

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
sadly it is really NOT the fault of the poly batting..but just that you need more experience. TENSION is always different when changing, fabrics, threads, and even battings...with time and practice and NOTES you will find the best combination for which ever batting you decide to use!

agreed 100% ! The problem isn't in the batting itself, it is the tension which needs to be set each time you fmq......I use poly for charity quilts and anything where I want a poofier look....I use 80/20 blend (from walmart) for a thinner and softer quilt....each one requires a different tension, even between straight stitch quilting and fmq.....I have found that setting stitch length to zero, pedal to the metal, and slowing down my hands made a huge difference in the way the thread reacted on the back.....no more loops and birds nests! PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! Pretty stitching with consistent stitch length doesn't happen with the first quilt....or the second. Don't give up on poly yet....it has it's place in the quilting world! Try spray basting once.....I will never pin another quilt since I found it. If done correctly (I oversprayed on my first try and needle got gummy) the fabric does not shift. I start out my quilting now by sewing around the outside edges and then do the inside.....no puckers and it washes out!

Last edited by Buckeye Rose; 12-23-2011 at 07:58 AM.