View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I need to buy that book. I took a paper piecing class one time and feined a headache to leave because I wasn't following the teacher and couldn't figure it out. It seemed hard. But if there is a good book that does step by step instructions with pictures and actual blocks, I'd love to try it. Does this book have all that?
A year ago, I felt much the same as you! Then at Easter, I wanted to make a wall hanging and the only one I remotely liked was PPing! UGH!!!!! So I FORCED myself to work on it and got thru it.

I started by using the basic How To on the Quiltville.com site. Then jumped right into the wall hanging. I still wasn't thrilled!! I did hte CandleQuilter block, and again, not thrilled. Of course, I probably started with some of the most challenging blocks! Go figure!!!

Then, in the fall I was doing the FWS blocks, and while I didn't HAVE to do PPing, I came to some blocks that I didn't feel like all the measuring and cutting ... knowing the chances are they wouldn't lie flat. It was awkward, and then a did a few more ... and more ... and I started to get in my PP groove!!

And now .... frankly, I quite enjoy PPing! .... I see it as Paint-By-Numbers meets Dot-To-Dot!! Two things I loved as a kid. PLUS ... I totally see it as a lazy way of piecing. Almost mindless. And BONUS ...... pointy points, accurate piecing and bang on sizes of blocks. Who can argue?

P.S. ..... You really don't need a book. Just go to Quiltville and START ... and keep at it, and find your PP groove!