View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 08:01 PM
cola410

Question How to wash/clean these quilts?

Okay, so here's the basics: I bought two quilts at an estate sale this afternoon, and I don't know how clean they are. They smell a bit musty/old, so I'd like to launder them before I use them. But they are hand quilted and probably hand pieced, so I don't want to mess them up. They seem to be pretty well made, all the stitches are about the same length and nothing seems to be coming apart anywhere on either quilt. They are both bed size, one queen and one twin/full. I don't know exactly how old they are, but I'd estimate at least about 10 years old. So, after all that, my question is: How do I clean them?? I thought about using the special quilt detergent and washing them in the bathtub, but I don't know how clean that would get them. I don't think they should be dry-cleaned, so what are your suggestions? Our machine has a delicate cycle and they can lay out to dry if you think I should machine wash them. I live around St. Louis, MO if anyone knows anywhere that specializes in or is known for washing old quilts. Thanks for the help and listening to my babble.

~Katie