Old 01-19-2012, 09:37 PM
BarbaraSue

I can see how your discussion was going as I have heard that same talk in one guild. In fact, one lady stated that when she bought batting for the guild to use for charity quilts, she went to the local retail big box store and bought the cheapist she could get in quantity. "It was going to charity afterall."
There is an underlying attitude that charity means of less value, not just with what is given, but to the receivers as well. Comments inferring that "those" people are in a situation of their own doing.
I said nothing, which was probably wrong, but I would have not helped the conversation if I had opened my mouth.
I entered a challlenge in the fair that was a baby quilt for "donation only". I would not see it again, and it would not be mine. I designed the quilt around old McDonald's farm, and many of the blocks had a 3-D part. Ears that flopped, tails that moved, manes to pet, fins to flip, etc. I won the Blue Ribbon. I know all along that it would not be mine. That was not the point of the exercise for me. I wanted to be creative, and spread my wings, even though I would not get to keep it. If I want to make it again, I have the patterns I drew to make the first one.
Charity only means that I give it away. It does not mean of less value. That's just me.