Thread: Blue Wholecloth
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Borntohandquilt

Originally Posted by wandatn View Post
That is beautiful-I got me a kingsize wholecloth-I haven't started on it yet-I am going to try to handquilt it myself-do you have any suggestions on getting started? I am going to put it on my quilting frame-that way when the grandkids come I can lock my sewing room door.LOL I am really excited about getting started on it-I figure sooner or later we will get winter here in Kingsport and I will have something to do. How long does one take you to handstitch? What kind of thread and needle do you use and how much thread-I know its alot.
Well, I think the best suggestion I can give you is: just start with it and give it a try! Furthermore I always look for battings that are easy to handquilt. Of course this is a matter of personal choice and every quilter has his/her own preferences.You can find many threads here on the board regarding battings.

In general I need 3-4 months (6-8 hours per day) to hand quilt a wholecloth like the one on the pictures. It depends a lot of the patterns you use, the more intricate they are, the more time and thread you need. For this quilt I needed about 1000 yards of YLI hand quilting thread, this is one of my favourites. I use John James Betweens #11 for hand quilting.