View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 05:51 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

if he's interested- and you are not (threatened) of course you should!
all of the 'guys' in my world are quilters (and a couple of them sure challenge me!)
my nephew & 2 sons have been quilting for 6+ years they are adventurous- fearless- and GREAT with color! i read so many people's comments about not being able to choose colors/prints on their own for a quilt- you simply need to get a guy involved-
so many times i have spent a couple hours trying to choose colors for a french braid or lonestar and they just ... are not right....
one of the boys would walk in- i would show them the picture of what i wanted to do-and show them what i had out---9 times out of 10 they would gather my whole stack- and disappear to the fabric shelves---come back with a whole new stack- say there you go- and leave again- (i am so proud of my newest french braid quilt because i did it with no help from any of them) guess i'm finally learning
i (personally) am never threatened-or upset when any of them help themselves to my stash- if it is on the shelves it is 'free-game' if i am working on something i have everything pulled out already- they are always welcome to visit & shop my shelves-
the only rule is no wasting- if they take it i expect them to use it- not cut it up then walk away without using it- because of this 'rule' they have learned to make one block and decide if it's something they want to make a whole quilt of before choosing/cutting for a whole quilt-
i figure if they use up something i have reason to visit the quilt shop
it's a win-win
anyone in my world who shows interest i work hard at getting involved and am always willing to share- make time for