View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 04:10 PM
smitty

Originally Posted by MamaYitu View Post
I am having trouble getting my half square triangles to be sewn to a regular square; they don't match exactly so the points are off. I know that you cut the half squares 3/8" bigger. So I am making 2.5 regular square and the triangle square I cut 2 7/8. But when I go to match them up to sew, they don't match--the half-square triangle which is now a square is bigger??? What is the problem? Does anyone else have that problem? What must I do?
you want your squares first cut 7/8" larger than the FINSIHED size of your square. Stack two colors together(right sides together RST) I cut them 1" larger (than the desired -finished--square ), sew 1/4" on each side of the diagonal mark, press lightly, cut on diagonal line. Press open, then trim to your desired square size. id you cut on the diagonal, then sew, you are sewing bias edges, which you want to avoid if you can. that works for scrappy. if you do a lot of
the same colors, papers work really well. there are several methods out there. man, it is hard to correctly write
something that you just do automatically if you have quilted for a while. good luck---triangles add so much to your
quilting patterns.
avoid if you can.
with a bias square ruler as others have suggested.