Thread: RAK Thank You!
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Krystyna
Swap Hosts

Louise, prayers going up for you both. We bought our house with help from my aunt. If we had to do it today, we would never own our own home. The prices around here are insane. 20 years ago we bought it for $130,000. If we bought even three or four years before that, we could have gotten it for $60,000. It's value now is $480,000. It's a HUT! The house next door to us is very similar except that the front porch is enclosed as a room. A young yuppie couple bought it for $430,000 and then gutted most of it spending another $350,000. Then they put in a hot tub and bought an expensive boat. Then they got divorced. You have to wonder what people do for a living to have that sort of money flying around.
The mortgage on our hut is almost paid off. It is tiny, but it was fine when our son was little. It got tighter as he grew and tighter still with the addition of a FDIL. Hoping and praying that they will be in a financial position to move out before too long. And then ... I get my son's room for a studio!!!!