Old 03-04-2012, 08:34 AM
paintmejudy

Use ¼” seams throughout - double check your measurements to make sure you have ¼” seams. Better to err a thread to the right, than to the left. Even if you are using a ¼” foot with an attached guide, double check - it may be a thread width off. I generally have to adjust my needle one click to the right to make sure I have a full ¼” seam. It is critical to sew the strips with the correct size seam allowance or you will not get a true square when the blocks are sewn together in lesson 3. If your seams allowances are off, please re-do. DO NOT TRIM the blocks into a smaller square or you will not get the upcoming parts of the quilt to fit.

Right sides together, sew the WOF strips together until all five pieces are sewn. Press well, seams pressed the same direction, making sure you have no little “folds” on the right side of the fabric, as these little folds will make the pieced strips vary in width. Your piece must measure 10-½” wide. If you’ve adjusted your needle position, and your width is a teeny bit large, trim AFTER you have cut this strip into 10½” pieces.

Cut four blocks 10-½” wide -- start as close to the end of your fabric as possible in order to get all four blocks to be a 10-½” x 10-½” square. This is where you would need to have used your additional WOF if you didn’t have 42” of printed design.
Attached Thumbnails 005.jpg  

Last edited by paintmejudy; 03-04-2012 at 08:43 AM.