Old 03-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Foxflower

Originally Posted by 40MPHK9 View Post
Here is my offering. I'm not going to lie--I am having trouble with the 1/4" seam....it SEEMS to be 1/4" but my five strips sewn together ended up measuring 10 3/16", not 10 1/2". I just don't get it, and not sure I have the fabric to redo.....
Your fabric is beautiful 40. Like quiltermomma said, you need a scant 1/4" seam not only because of thread width, but you are folding the fabric over said thread, so you loose a few strand widths there too. Is there a 1/4" guide on your machine's throat plate or do you have a 1/4" foot? If so, then sew just to the inside of that mark rather than on top of it. If you don't have such a mark/guide/foot, etc, I suggest you make one with painters tape or whatever you feel comfortable using on your machine. Some people use mole skin to give a raised edge, but I have not yet tried that (going to try it with my daughter to help her with straight 1/4" seams). Also, a word on cutting. You can lose a few strands by cutting to the inside of your ruler lines, and visa versa. Hope that helps. Again, just love your fabric so hope you can work it out.