Old 03-08-2012, 12:53 PM
skydiver70

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
No, never had that feeling. When I give a quilt to someone, it stops being mine. They are all labeled so the source is never in question and their fate is in someone else's hands entirely, without any regret.

As for nursing homes, extended care facilities and the like, I think saying things are stolen is way too harsh. Most are simply picked up by residents who think they are their own. Most residences require labels on everything for that reason. Dementia is not even close to dishonesty.
I know what you mean when things are just picked up by someone who may think it is their own. We had that experience in the nursing home where my MIL was for 10 years. She lost her dentures and we couldn't find them anywhere. One day another resident was complaining to her family that her teeth were hurting her mouth. They told her they would take her to the dentist and have them adjusted or whatever they needed. When she took them out to show them, they realized they weren't her teeth. My MIL's name was on them. The nursing home had put her name on them when she arrived at the home. Both families got a big laugh out of it. The resident hadn't known they weren't hers.