View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 04:32 AM
Krystyna
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by quiltnut4ever View Post
Krystyna or Quilty Louise, can you explain to me what the mylar is for? I've seen several embroidery designs that ask for mylar paper and don't know what they mean.
Quiltnut, you can view a video on using mylar in embroidery here - it is essentially the sort of cellophane type material that you would use to wrap a gift basket, but with a bit of luminescence. You actually can buy a roll of it at Joann or Michael's, but there is another type to use if you want your embroidery to be washable in a machine.
I don't use it myself, but like using the vapor organzas from Joann. They are just gorgeous and come in so many colors. I also used a sparkly burgundy organza to make napkin rings. So pretty. If you look at post 427 you'll see a little angel I made using some organza - although I also used glitter thread on the wings and some details.

TanyaL - you hit the nail on the head. I think that the use of an embroidery machine is legitimate for use in quilting. Just as legitimate as the use of any other piece of equipment.