Old 04-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Krystyna
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by mmb195152 View Post
Krystyna, I am very interested in your comment about using your embroidery machine to do quilting. What a great idea! Will that work on larger quilting projects too? I have been thinking about whether I would like an embroidery machine or not, but this idea puts more interest in getting one.

Finances are an issue, and I have sewing machines I love. Any ideas about a reasonable embroidery machine that would work for me? I have never done embroidery. Anyone? I am a novice quilter, learning lots every day. Right now I have only done SITD with my quilting. Thanks to everyone from whom I am learning every day! Mary
I am slowly working on using the embroidery machine for quilting a larger quilt. Since there is a carriage that moves, the key is in having the machine on a large table and the quilt roll supported so it doesn't drag on the machine's movements. My machine will only do designs up to 5x7, so I use a mega hoop to cut down on the number of times I need to rehoop. You can also use the QAYG method and sew squares together later on.

I purchased a Brother PE-770 from Mr. Vac and Mrs. Sew very reasonably. It is embroidery only and that is fine. If you wait until after Mother's Day they often have open box returns for a substantial savings.