Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 AM
Cre8tvlwyr

Is EPP where you do a 'whipstitch' for the seams holding right sides together and having paper basted to the wrong side of the two pieces - with the paper ending at the seam line?? I know this is what you do with hexagons and grandmothers flower garden. In my very first quilt class - back in 1978 - Judy Mathieson taught this method in a quilt sampler class! I had made a few quilts as a teenager for close family friends before that, but this is where the method was taught. I think it is the same?? It really does give you precise piecing!

All of your blocks are wonderful - as was your explanation, Gladys!! thanks

I will add a small note - whether you decide to actually make individual templates or not... I have found cutting to be one of the most critical parts of making your block accurate. Obviously, you cut wrong the mistake continues on to the sewing. First you need to know just how you and your machine if using one determines the 1/4" seam. Sew one and measure it with your ruler. You want to measure your typical seam and cut seam allowances accordingly. If you are too generous with your sewn seam and it is more than 1/4" you need to make some sort of adjustment. You either need to find a marking on your machine - plate or foot edge, etc - that will result in the right width ---- or ---- you need to cut your pieces a little bigger. Measuring properly is critical. You should be including the line on your ruler when you measure how large to cut a piece - what I mean is the width of the line is important and lots of us dont count it by putting it against rather than on the line - you lose a few threads which translates into 1/32-1/16 of an inch and with four or five seams across the block, this becomes 1/4" or more that your block will be too small.

Oh there I go again!!! babble babble.... pictures like Gladys put up would be better!

At any rate ladies - you are doing far better than I!! [three family birthdays, bum knee, and taxes... it will all pass soon!]
Gus