Old 04-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Bicycle Hobo

Originally Posted by charity-crafter View Post
I don't care how much the gift giver should release the gift and not expect anything from it and the receiver should be able to do what ever they want-they'll never get another quilt from me or anything of value. It's a slap in the face when people don't value something that you've spend so much time, effort and money on something you've made special for them.

That's why I don't make quilts for anyone. I'd rather give to charity, that way I don't see what the person is doing with the finished product. And I hope that some child is getting a little comfort from what I make.
I chose to go the charity route also. While I am a rather “quickie” sewer and quilter in my designs-large blocks & machine work as much as possible-plus the actual products (including quilts), I don’t care to give the handmade products anymore to relatives, friends, and acquaintances-unless I am forced to. I only give locally to known charities that I am sure of channeling the products to a actual flesh-and blood receiver.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Your story beats the worst that happened to me. Not a quilt, but a crocheted baby blanket and matching sweater and pants. Made for a SIL. She opened it, rifled through the box, looked at me and said "what? no money?"

Why am I not surprised at this? She is a very good representation of what’s wrong with this present society.

Originally Posted by Julie in NM View Post
Made quilt for gal at work who was in a bad way. She just loved it. However, do did her dog. He died on it! She buried him in it! I cried on the way home when she told me. Haven't made that pattrn again and it's a great scrappy quilt.

I hope you are not upset at the final use of your beloved quilt. I remember my father telling me that families buried their dead alongside the road to California with one of their prized quilts during the 1930’s Depression. Quilts really do give comfort and use up to the final minutes & send off-for any living and former living being.

Originally Posted by nycbgirl View Post
A few years ago my SIL told me that her cat liked her quillow so much that she gave it to her....and can I make her another one? Really the time is very short for a quillow compared to a quilt so I did make her another. However I did stipulate that if she chose to give this one to her cat than I would never ever make her anything again.

I would recommend sending special "pet-proof or at least resistant" quilts to animal loving & occupied homes. Below are some recent rag quilts I use everyday here with Hellion (the little female) & Brother (the big solid gray male). I make many of them and scatter these special designed ones all over the house to protect the beds & furniture. Most quilt patterns translate to the ragging method very well or even better than the original pattern.
Attached Thumbnails 6943512970_65602b34fc.jpg   7089580405_51aeecfe11.jpg  

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 04-29-2012 at 05:00 PM.