Old 05-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Bicycle Hobo

Originally Posted by Linda-in-iowa View Post
I made 3 quilts for wedding gifts and never recieved thank yous. I've often wondered if maybe the dogs, at least, appreciated them. I also had a friend who asked me many times if I would make her a quilt and that she liked pink. She saw a picture of a pink one I had made and asked me several times if I would make her one like it. The one she was talking about had never been used, so I told her she could have it. Apparently it offended her that I would give her one already made rather than spend the time and money duplicating it for her, so after looking disgusted as she hauled it out to her car, she has never spoken to me since. Was I in the wrong? On the opposite end of the spectrum, I made a baby quilt for my daughter's best friend. Michelle told me after a couple of years that the quilt was literally worn to threads and that the little boy goes nowhere without it. He loved it to death. How cool is that! I offered to make him another one but she was afraid her friend would be embarrassed that she let him wear it out.

If my quilts were loved to shreds by the recipient(s), I would be so happy! That to me is what my quilts or blankets are intended & made for. If they are carefully tucked into a box or cedar chest (even better) and treasured, that is also fine by me. My time and materials are equally valued by the recipient(s). But for the impulsive I wanna quilt types that want freebies, forget it. No can do.

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
This is common...there is a segment of society that just doesn't appreicate it. No fault of theirs...they are missing a gene!! I would never make someone a big quilt without first making them a small gift...see how much they like it.
Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
Now ask me why I would never make a quilt for my MIL! (missing the gene)
I prefer to keep my quilts only for myself. Unless I sell one or more, donate to an organization, or barter selected quilts/blankets. End of problem.

Originally Posted by allie1 View Post
That is so sad. My story is, My very first quilt I made was for a family member on my husbands side. It was a baby quilt. I worked so hard on It .I gave it to them at a baby shower and she didn't even look at It she opened the box and just pushed It to the side and went on to say It wasn't from Sacks Fifth Avenue. I worked long hours on It I went to work a few days with NO sleep I worked on It all night. I didn't really know what I was doing then so the way she treated it really hurt. Then a few years later I started taking classes and I learned a lot and I could make It a lot faster

Good point. Don’t waste your time on these clueless idiots. Keep your quilts to yourself and give out store bought gifts. You will save much time & $$$$$$. Besides, if they don't like it, they can return it themselves. Thus your social obligation is satisfied.

Originally Posted by charity-crafter View Post
I worked in a nursing home years ago. Check the laundry department, then go around and check all the lap quilts people are using. Sometimes they get put into a general lap blanket pile without realizing it belongs to a specific person. Or the residents will borrow it from a a person because it's prettier then the one they are using. Post a photo at the nursing desk also on off chance it's just misplaced.
Originally Posted by charity-crafter View Post

But sadly, if it was pretty someone visiting or working there may have decided that it would look better at their house.
Most likely with those poorly paid, overworked attendants, I would say it’s at their house. Or sold off for pocket change.

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Big difference between 'hard use', abuse, and neglect.

Yes!!!!!!

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 05-03-2012 at 12:18 PM.