Old 06-02-2012, 06:15 AM
paintmejudy

Default step 3 for scrappy

For Scrappy
(My friend”s daughter, who is very new to quilting, has volunteered to make the pieces for this section of the quilt for step 5, following my written directions. She had a bit of a problem getting everything straight, so I told her to line her pieces at the top edge and the bottom edges will “fit in” when sewn onto the project. No one will know the difference when it is all put together.)

Using scraps or your charms, cut 16 assorted pieces 2-½” x 4-½”, the more variety the better. Keep in two stacks of the 8 different charm pieces.
Cut 20 of C background fabric 2-½” x 2-½” squares. Also cut eight 2-½” x 4-½” of C.
Cut 4 of D sashing, 2-½” x 2-½” square.

Mark a diagonal line on 16 of the 2-½” x 2-½” background Color C fabric - marked in photo as A. separate into 2 piles of 8 pieces each.
Take one stack of the 2-½ x 4-12/” pieces, and place a 2-½” background square on the patterned fabric as shown, sew from upper left to lower right. Marked on photo as B
Take the other stack of charms and the rest of the scrap rectangles, place a 2-½” background square on the patterned fabric, sew from upper right to lower left. - marked in photo as C.

Trim off the corners. Press as shown in photo - half of the seams press to the top, the other half press to the bottom so the seams will “nestle” and eliminate bulk. Sew the two pieces together to make a 4-½” square as shown - marked as photo D
You will make 8 pieces as shown in photo , using different pairings of the strips, not matching pairs

Sew together a background C and a sashing D, using the 2-½” squares. Make 4 sets.
Sew a 2-½” x 4-½” piece of background C to the 2-patch, copying placement of fabrics. You will have 4 blocks.

Sew these four C-D pieces to the scrappy pairs previously made. See final photo.
Attached Thumbnails scrappy-c-003.jpg   scrappy-c-004.jpg   scrappy-c-005.jpg   scrappy-c-006.jpg   scrappy-c-012.jpg