Old 06-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Nancy Ingham

Hi Jeanice,

Welcome from the Lakes Region of New Hampshire.

My dear friend, Debbie, and I are currently working on Cathedral Window quilts and are using the traditional muslin backing. I am using 100% cotton fabric for my windows …every ‘window’ a different color and/or print. Debbie is using a variety of fabrics, all different colors and prints. She has silks, cottons, flannel, etc. It is coming out beautifully! Remember, Cathedral Window is a very old pattern and the women then used varies scraps of fabric, whatever they had on hand, in their quilts. What we have both done which may be a little different; we stitched a small square of ‘Warm & Natural’ batting behind each ‘window’ square of fabric. It gives each window a little substance and adds extra overall warmth to the quilt.

Many quilters today use a variety of backing materials and colors, including jeans. There are no quilting do’s or don’t here, you are free to use what you like. I personally find it very endearing to use traditional vintage patterns and fabrics.

I am sure whatever you use will be beautiful! Will all your windows be the same silk fabric throughout or will you be using different colors and patterns of silk?

Have fun; it goes slow if you do it by hand as we are, but we find it relaxing and a great travel project.

Nancy