View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 03:41 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
You are so right .. they really do not get it... at all. But I have run into some quilters that don't get it either.. when it comes to smallish pieces... they just say pitch the scraps... but some quilters don't get the scrap thing either.
I am glad my sewing space in in the basement.. guests don't see my "stuff" unless they are very "quilter friendly". That way I don't have to provide any "reason" for the "stuff".
I agree with the scraps. I save most all of them. I also embroidery and applique and you'd be surprised how easy it is to use up those little scraps. I know one lady who has a really large stash who says she never shows her sewing room to a non-quilter because they never understand but she loves to show it to a quilter because they love to look at all she has. I just don't worry about what anyone says. My room is rather small and so is my budget so until a few months ago I didn't even have what most would call a stash. Then a lady posted on CL that she'd give away fabric in turn for someone to make her some small quilts that were a little larger than a receiving blanket and just two pieces of fabric sewed together and then turned rights sides out and topstitched and she supplied the fabric. I got some really nice fabric from that deal. I now have box and a bag to go thru from someone cleaning out after coming to the realization that even though they wanted to sew, it just wasn't going to happen. Not all of it is quilting fabric but since I'm also getting back into making clothes I'm sure I'll use most of it and what I don't use I'll send to the CHKD thrift store to help the kids at the hosptial. My daughter quilts a little and always wants me to get more fabric so that she has more to chose from and one day she knows it will all be hers.