View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 AM
dungeonquilter

Measure the quilt for the size of the borders. I take a few measurements across and a few up and down. Then I average all the measurements across. This is the length of the top and bottom borders. Take this measurement and add the width of your borders x2 because you will have a border on each side. Now add 3-4" for fudge factor. Find the center along the length of the border. Take the length of the border and place pins at points on your border this far apart, centered. So if you top measures 40", you will want to place your pins 40" apart, starting about 20" from the center point. Sew the borders to the top and bottom, starting and stopping 1/4" from the edge, backstitching at each end.
Repeat for the sides using the average measurements made of the quilt top before adding the borders to the top and bottom.
Now that all 4 borders are attached, you need to sew the diagonal seams at each corner.
Fold the top, starting at one corner along the diagonal, right sides together. Push the seam allowances towards the quilt top. Line up the borders and pin together. They should match up. Using a ruler with a 45 degree angle, mark the seam line. Now sew the seam. I like to start at the outside edge and sew to the center. Again sew to the 1/4" seam and backstitch.
Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post
I have a question. Does anyone know an easy, understandable way to explain how to miter a corner? Ive put a border on my Civil War quilt and want to miter the corners but I cant understand the tutorials Ive seen on line. Ive done it before but cant for the life of me remember how!

Daisey, I have two batches of blocks to put together into a quilt. Have NO idea when I will find the time to do it but Im ready for the next one. Its a little aggravating when you send out 36 F8's and dont always get 36 back but over all its a good swap and I sure hope April wants to do another one! Joan